Mystery Repeats Itself talks about True Crime Cases and therefore may contain content not suitable for all ages.
Reader discretion is advised

Monday, September 17, 2018

Canadian True Crime

Mysteries and true crime have been an interest of mine for years now. Watching TV shows and seeing how the "bad guys" get caught on whatever TV crime drama clone happens to be on held my interest for a time. Until I started reading about the real stuff. Real life mysteries and criminal cases sucked me in like nothing else.

I started researching criminal cases. Unsolved crimes, missing people and just plain strange cases. What I found seemed to be a never-ending rabbit hole. The more I read and the more shows I watched, there was always more.

The sad thing with real-life mysteries is that there doesn't seem to ever be an end to them. Often there isnt a happy ending. There is always a new case. Always another missing person, abduction or murder. Even in my sleepy little town, there are mysteries in the shadows if you look hard enough. Sometimes they aren't hidden in the shadows at all.



As I researched I noticed something. And that was a lack of sites or blogs that report on cases within Canada. Most of the cases I found online focused south of the border. The Canadian true crime cases don't seem to get nearly the publicity as they should, In my eyes, for Canadian audiences.

Some cases I will write about are so strange or interesting I will have to share them with you even if they did not happen in Canada, but you will notice a Canadian theme to this blog. Some of these cases will be unsolved, and I truly believe that somewhere, someone has the tip that solves the case.




 Forensic Breakthroughs


Recently there have been significant breakthroughs in DNA analysis. Using a new technique analyzing familial DNA law enforcement was able to catch the notorious Joseph James DeAngelo, also known as EAR/ONS (East Area Rapist, Original Night Stalker), or the Golden State Killer. EAR/ONS was a sadistic murderer, rapist, and burglar who committed at least 13 murders, more than 50 rapes, and over 100 burglaries in California from 1974 to 1986.

32 years after he was "active" law enforcement was able to put this guy behind bars. I think using this technique and future breakthroughs in DNA analysis, other "cold cases" will finally have closure.


Canadian Crime Statistics



Canada boasts a lower crime rate than the United States, but we still have our fair share of murders and missing people. According to the Missing Children Society of Canada, there were 47,168 reports of missing children in Canada as reported by the RCMP in 2017. And according to Statistics Canada, there were 403,201 incidents of violent crime in Canada in 2017 with 660 homicides and a little over 100 of them unsolved (or at least no charges laid).

Canada also has its fair share of strange mysteries too! Can you believe that Canadians reported an average of 3 UFO sightings a day in 2017?

We have our fair share of crimes and mysteries. You just don't hear about them as much.

I hope you find the stories and cases I write about here as interesting as I do, and maybe, just maybe someone reading might have information that solves one of them.

Thank you for reading, See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment